Saturday, May 5, 2012

Simplicity


            I had been looking forward to reading this book, Milestones, all semester because of how many times the text came up during my History of the Modern Middle East course. However, reading it and comparing that to my memory of its impact, I felt disjointed—at first.
            See, I had expected something incredibly elaborate, something utterly mind-blowing, something that would change the way I engaged the world, even as a non-Muslim. However, if anything, I was irritated. Irritated at how Sayyid Qutb was over simplifying everything to a point where there was no longer full truth, only a mismatch of partial truths. It wasn’t until class that evening that I began to unravel my irritation; I was irritated at the sheer simplicity of it.
            I’ve read the theories of Tahtawi, Afghani, Abduh, and Rida about Islam, modernism, globalization and the West.  I’ve watched them wrestle with the same questions. I know the time period is different and Qutb was dealing with a much different mess, but simplicity, gah simplicity is so dangerous. Nothing is simple and the simpler something is or appears to be the more its leaving out. Now, are the things we’re leaving out worthy of being left out? Maybe. But shouldn’t we get the choice?
            Simplicity. Simplicity is dangerous. Simplicity is luring. Simplicity is the thing that Sayyid Qutb is creating.
            Qutb is relying upon simplicity so that his writings won’t be questioned. Look at how fast it was and is gobbled up. You can’t walk into a bookstore and purchase it because they are sold out as soon as they get copies. Simplicity is desirable. In a world where depth is unearthed about absolutely everything, to see a simple offering is understandably enticing. However, Qutb takes advantage of a need of the people.  Other theologians work hard to grapple and wrestle with the difficulties of the faith and perceived collaborations with modernity and globalization. Qutb doesn’t.
            With all this said, I cannot look at his work objectively. All I see is a man who ignores grey, probably for his own benefit, because grey would challenge many of his own conceptions and creations. A man unwilling to do such is irritating to me. Not questioning and forcing complicated ideas into a simplified format is vastly dangerous. Qutb is creating and enforcing this danger with his text. That loses him respect in my book. The thoughts and work of Tahtawi, Afghani, Rida and Abduh are far more respectable as they work hard to grapple. Grappling is hard but worthy.

WHB


No comments:

Post a Comment