Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Some Final Thoughts

Here are a couple of final thoughts I have from the course this semester:


·         In my last post, I talked about my final paper (5/2/12, titled "My Final Paper: Globalization, Deterritorialization, and Gender"). One overall conclusion I draw in this paper is that Islam is not inherently misogynist. I realized that this conclusion is very similar to what Mahmood Mamdani talks about in the article "Good Muslim, Bad Muslim: A Political Perspective on Culture and Terrorism." In this article, Mamdani writes that "culture talk" creates easy categories: "good Muslims" and "bad Muslims." "Good Muslims"  are moderate and modernized – i.e. are more Westernized. "Bad Muslims," on the other hand, are traditional and fundamentalist and interpret the Quran literally. A common assumption is that Bad Muslims have the dominant voice in Islam. But this is not actually the case. In my paper, I argue a very similar thing. Muslims do wrestle with various social and theological issues. Gender relations is one of these issues. Some Muslim sects and individuals reach conservative conclusions, and reach more progressive conclusions. Therefore I, like Mamdani, challenge the dominant discourse of Muslim misogyny.


·         In the article "CyberResistance: Saudi Opposition between Globalization and Localization," Mamoun Fandy talks about the encounter of Saudi society with various globalization processes. Among other things, Fandy argues that the modern world has compressed time and space (p. 124). This compression entails the creation of a "hyperreal state" – that is, the delinking of state from physical territory (pp. 125, 140). When reading this, I was immediately struck by the similarity between the concept of hyperreal state and the concept of deterritorialization. Arjun Appadurai talks about deterritorialization in his book Modernity at Large. He defines it as "the loosening of the holds between people, wealth, and territories" (p. 49). This is virtually identical to Fandy's definition of a hyperreal state.


-GGM

No comments:

Post a Comment